Adaptive Reuse in Newport News, VA at U-Haul at Deer Park
Histoire du bâtiment
Texaco, originally named The Texas Company, was founded in 1902. An abbreviated telegram name, Texaco, eventually was popularized for marketing purposes and an Italian refinery worker helped develop the iconic five-pointed star logo with a green ‘T’ and an Italian flag inspired color pattern. Texaco actually became the first U.S. oil company to sell gasoline nationwide under a unified brand name in 1928. In the following years, Texaco would have several acquisitions and began marketing higher quality oil and higher-octane gasoline products such as: Havoline Motor Oil, Fire Chief Gasoline and Sky Chief gasoline. In the 1930's, Texaco fell under intense scrutiny for their chairman, Torkild Rieber, who used company resources to bolster his political affiliations. These actions ultimately led to his resignation in 1940. However, under new management, Texaco continued to grow, merge and make deals with different organizations and companies. The Texaco hit line of products began to be rebranded in the 1980’s when the Fire Chief gas was changed to Texaco Regular and the Sky Chief was rebranded to Texaco Super Unleaded.
For many years, Texaco continued to hold joint ventures, mergers and shared interest with Shell, Chevron, and a number of other companies throughout the early 2000’s. In 2002, Texaco was officially procured by the Chevron Corporation, but many Texaco branded gas stations still exist around North America. The Chevron-Texaco merger has allowed Chevron to become the 2nd largest U.S. based energy corporation. Among their popular rands are Havoline, Texaco, Ursa, Techron, Chevron and Delo.
The Texaco building on 609 J. Clyde Morris Boulevard was built in 1965 and U-Haul acquired the property in 1979. Adaptive reuse building conversions allow U-Haul to promote infill development to meet citizens’ needs while preserving the natural resources and land normally required for new construction. Adaptive reuse also allows resources to be focused on integrating environmentally thoughtful features into the existing building rather than creating waste in the form of demolition and using valuable resources for new construction.
Au service des clients depuis 1979, cet emplacement a été construit par réutilisation adaptative d'un bâtiment abandonné. Adaptive reuse promotes infill development in an effort to strengthen communities, with the following benefits achieved at this site:
- la fabrication et le transport de 41 tonnes de métal
- 306 tons of new concrete pours avoided
- 350 tons of construction and demolition debris prevented
Energy-efficiency and waste-reduction programs at this facility provide the following estimated benefits each year for the Newport News community:
- réaliser des économies de 7 310 kWh par année
- 291,768 lbs greenhouse gas emissions prevented
Production de l'acier La fabrication et le transport de 41 tonnes (37 tonnes métriques) d'acier ont été évités à ce jour
Énergie Économies de 7 310 kWh par année
Concrete 306 tons (278 tonnes) of new concrete pours avoided to date
Émissions Émissions de 291 768 lb (132 345 kg) de gaz à effet de serre évitées
Landfill Debris 350 lbs (318 kgs) of construction debris prevented
Galerie de photos
Haut de la page