Adaptive Reuse in Toledo, OH at U-Haul Moving & Storage at Swayne Field

Histoire du bâtiment

Founded in 1887 by John W. Pinkerton, the Pinkerton Tobacco Company had a goal to make the best tasting scrap tobacco on the market. After buying the controlling shares in Worstall Cigar and Tobacco Company, John W. Pinkerton created the formula for Red Man chewing tobacco, currently one of the best-selling chewing tobaccos in the world. Pinkerton eventually sold stock in his company to seven investors in order to continue to grow the business. Unfortunately, major disputes arised with the investors, leading Pinkerton to sell the majority of his of stock to the Duke Trust, a large competitor. This stock exchange meant that Pinkerton Tobacco Company  would join The American Tobacco Company. In 1911, the Supreme Court ordered the split of the Duke Trust due to the Sherman Anti-Trust Act and Pinkerton Tobacco Company finally transferred ownership to Liggett & Myers Tobacco Company.

Thusands of businesses struggled during the Great Depression and among them Pinkerton Tobacco Company. Despite the hard times, Pinkerton Tobacco Co. managed to not lay off a single employee. The company also felt immense pressure during WW2 and had to make adjustments to their classic chew recipe as a result of sugar rations. This recipe would be utilized between 1942 and 1950, using natural sugars extracted from fruits. Pinkerton became the first manufacturer to pack its brands in resealable foil pouches in 1967, giving them a marketable advantage over the competition.  

Pinkerton produced their tobacco products in Toledo for nearly 70 years. In the 1970's they opened a new plant in Owensboro, Kentucky ultimately moving their headquarters to Richmond, Virginia in 1986. Pinkerton launched a moist snuff in the 1990's, consistently expanding their multitude of brands while increasing their volume. The Pinkerton brand is still popular among tobacco product consumers and they maintain production from their Owensboro, Kentucky facility.  

The Pinkerton Tobacco Company building was built in 1880 and U-Haul acquired the building in 2015. La réutilisation adaptative des bâtiments permet à U-Haul de promouvoir l'aménagement intercalaire pour répondre aux besoins des citoyens tout en préservant les ressources naturelles et les terrains normalement nécessaires à une construction neuve. La réutilisation adaptative permet également de concentrer les ressources sur l'intégration d'éléments respectueux de l'environnement dans le bâtiment existant plutôt que de créer des déchets par la démolition et d'utiliser des ressources précieuses pour de nouvelles constructions.

Impact environnemental

Au service des clients depuis 2015, cet emplacement a été construit par réutilisation adaptative d'un bâtiment abandonné. La réutilisation adaptative favorise l'aménagement intercalaire dans le but de renforcer les communautés. Parmi les bienfaits obtenus, la réutilisation a permis d'éviter :

  • le coulage de 8 715 tonnes de nouveau béton
  • 9 436 tonnes de débris de construction et de démolition

Waste-reduction programs at this facility provide the following estimated benefits each year for this Toledo community:

  • 4 081 918 livres d'émissions de gaz à effet de serre
  • Utilisation de l'acier

    Production de l'acier La fabrication et le transport de 0 tonnes (0 tonnes métriques) d'acier ont été évités à ce jour

  • Consommation d'énergie

    Energie Des économies de 0 kWh par année

  • Utilisation du béton

    Béton Coulage de 8 715 tonnes (7 908 tonnes) de nouveau béton évité à ce jour.

  • Émissions de CO2

    Émissions 4 081 918 lb (1 851 546 kgs) d'émissions de gaz à effet de serre ont été évitées

  • Débris pour les sites d'enfouissement

    Débris pour les sites d'enfouissement 9 436 lb (8 563 kg) de débris de construction ont été évitées

Retour
Haut de la page